I often get to do the nighttime routine with the girls, and it's a special time of the day. Sometimes a bit too hurried at the end of a busy day and running late, but usually a lovely way to end the day with them. Tonight we went through the usual routine: read books, read Bibles, sung our two carols for the Christmas concert and then Jesus Loves Me (you can never have too many songs at bedtimes apparently) and we were on to prayers. Olivia has recently started saying her own without prompting and rather values the opportunity - tonight was so beautiful that I wanted to cuddle her for hours just to retain that special reality of a gorgeous little girl with her simple knowledge of God.
She started out as usual and then almost made an inventory of her favourite things in her room - dolls, teddys, the door that closes, the vacuum etc. and I almost pulled her up when she switched to thanking God for our house, and for food and then proceeded to list all of her favourites - apricots, nectarines, grapes, watermelon, apple, pineapple, stewed apple (there was an apple theme happening here!) and then rounded up with a great big thanks to God for evweefing!
A good reminder to me that I need to thank God for my favourite things too - instead of taking them a bit for granted each day. She focussed on what's big in her world and reminded me that I should look a bit more closely at my own. So another lesson learned from my 2 year old...many more to come I'm sure.
No comments:
Post a Comment