Monday, July 21, 2008

A dip down memory lane

It was my turn to go in the water with Olivia at swimming lessons today, as Greg (who is working nights at the moment) is away at a conference for a few days. It was great - wearing togs in the middle of winter, the smells of chlorine and the feeling of walking in with a bag of towels and an expectation of something to come - felt like I was 15 again and heading into swimming training (something I spent about 4-5 hours a day doing for years)...ah the memories! And then the rapid grounding as I barely got wet to the shoulders!! Still, it was great to be part of it all.

The only thing I did miss was watching Ellen. After only one real lesson, she's going ahead in leaps and bounds, and was doing some solo swimming, backfloating and diving to the bottom today - she's very proud of that, so I've heard about it a few times already. I'm so glad that the girls love the water - I don't know whether we'll do the 12 years of swimming club that I did growing up - yet to be seen, but for now, I'm loving seeing them gain independence in a new area and the pride of achievement as they pick up new skills.

Back to being a spectator from now on - and maybe a touch of reminiscing...

No comments: