Sunday, May 17, 2009

Spelling Bee

Ellen is a keen learner - what four year old isn't - so life is a constant stream of what's that Mummy? what does that word say? what's the name of this street? what do they do at the Crematorium? (I get this one every time we drive past, so I'm obviously not getting the answer right to her satisfaction!) etc. etc. Some are easy to answer, and some not so easy - the usual story of parenting pre-schoolers I'm sure...
We were at the local shops again the other day, and she was keenly observing words and spelling them out:

"H A I R - what does that spell Mummy?"

"Hair, poppet - HAIR spells hair."

This went on for a while, with her seeking out words on the packaging of everything we passed - yes, it was a slow old stroll through the aisles, but we were in no hurry. We finally reached an aisle with display stacks of the new Uncle Toby's products, she raced over to them and calls out loudly and triumphantly:

"Mummy, O A T S - spells Porridge!!"

A keen eye on the picture on the front of the packet apparently gave it away. There were smiles from all those who heard in the aisle, and a few chuckles too.
Can't fault the enthusiasm anyway!

1 comment:

SquiggleMum said...

Oh I love this post! Excellent example of pre-reading skills. It's a good sign she'll take to reading ;) And if I'd been in the aisle I would have chuckled too.