The shy pirate - I don't think so!
Ellen - the intimidator
Ready to board ship
The girls had a 'pirate party' in the Pre-Prep room this week at Kindy, and were soooo excited about it. The previous week they had buried in the sandpit a zip-lock for each of the kids with their names on them, and they had to find their own - which took a while I'm sure! A good time filler for the teachers, who were dressed up after sleep time in Pirate costumes with hats with long plumes etc. - quite a sight. In the bags were invitations to a Pirate Party this week and some different colourful beads and letter beads for making a bracelet with their own name on - to be the pirate jewells. I was really impressed with the concentration and so on that they applied - Olivia must have threaded and unthreaded hers about 7 or 8 times over, and was thrilled to actually be allowed to do the task on her own at home - of course the beads hit the floors a number of times, and I'm sure I'll be finding them for weeks to come as we continue to move furniture around...
So Tuesday night I worked with the girls to create their props for their pirate costumes...eye patches (of course!) and swords - lucky we have an abundance of cardboard around here at the moment! Amazing what you can do with some scissors, elastic and alfoil - I was tempted to buy swords etc. at the $2 shop, but decided instead to work with the girls on their own creations, which turned out to be a lot of fun. They had a ball during the day, and came home with faces painted and lots of stories to share. They walked the plank, shouted more 'Ahoy there me hearties!' than anyone person should utter in a lifetime and are very ready for 'Speak like a pirate day' later in the year.
The first two photos are from the night before, when we'd made the eye patches and they just had to wear them while eating dinner - Olivia wanted to wear it to bed as well, but we put it safely in her kindy bag for the next day, and when I woke the next morning at 5.30 - there she was next to me, all dressed and ready to go with her eye patch in place - keen as mustard that girl - for anything that's happening. Ellen was trying for her scary face - frightening enough for me.
No comments:
Post a Comment